About Me

My photo
I worked in Public Administration, Managed Health Care, and Real Estate. Originally from Chicago and greater Chicago, I've lived in Minnesota my adult life. Blessed with a loving wife, four great sons, two accomplished daughters-in-law and there endearing grandkids. Now battling Pulmonary Fibrosis.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Going to Chicago...

Alec, Barb and I are off to Chicago (well, actually we're here now ... and not technically in Chicago but in the western suburbs).

For me it's coming home. For Barb and Alec, it's vacationing in a different place with different stores, museums, restaurants, etc.

We always have a good time while here. There are all sorts of things to see and do. The vitality of the city is refreshing and I really think it's a pretty city.

Today we went shopping on Michigan Avenue. I was just along for the experience ... Barb had some items she was looking for and Alec is always on the prowl.

One thing which has changed is that there are fewer and fewer stores that are unique to an area or community. With the consolidation of retailers (especially the folding in of Daytons to Marshall Fields) and the regional malls, it seems that everyone has a Nordstroms, a Fields, etc etc. The Sony store is unique ... but closed. (Too bad ... I was hoping to see the PSP -- PlayStation Portable) There was a "Territory Ahead" store and a Levengers store inside Marshall Fields. But neither was particularly inspiring and we managed to hold onto our collective wallets.

No comments: