About Me

My photo
I worked in Public Administration, Managed Health Care, and Real Estate. Originally from Chicago and greater Chicago, I've lived in Minnesota my adult life. Blessed with a loving wife, four great sons, two accomplished daughters-in-law and there endearing grandkids. Now battling Pulmonary Fibrosis.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Back from Chicago

We're back home and Alec is already asking when we can take another vacation! It was the typical battle to get him to leave -- he insisted he could find a job as a dishwasher in a restaurant and stay in Chicago by himself. That kept coming up all the way back home -- he's persistent if nothing else.

Some reflections on Chicago:

- the Lakeshore Drive is one of the city's crown jewels. It is not only a great way to get around the city, but it showcases the parks and lakefront.

- drivers are a lot more aggressive with weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, etc Yet it seems to work because I saw no accidents. If you tried driving that way in the Twin Cities, you'd have road rage all over the place.

- it's expensive in Chicago. Just the day-to-day things (tolls, parking, gas, food, etc) mount up.

- there's so much to do there. The museums are great (we hit the Art Institute and Museum of Science & Industry) ... lots of shops ... people watching ... we could have stayed longer. But, it's expensive in Chicago.

Even though I still identify myself as a transplanted Chicagoan (it's been over 30 years since I've moved up here), I have to admit that I'm glad I just visit there and don't live there. The pace is more hectic, the density is greater, and there are people everywhere. And it's expensive in Chicago. (Guess what my mantra is!)

No comments: