About Me

My photo
I worked in Public Administration, Managed Health Care, and Real Estate. Originally from Chicago and greater Chicago, I've lived in Minnesota my adult life. Blessed with a loving wife, four great sons, two accomplished daughters-in-law and there endearing grandkids. Now battling Pulmonary Fibrosis.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Doll Store

Yesterday I was lamenting the loss of unique stores. I should have qualified my lamentations but chose to wait until today to write about a truly unique store: American Girl.

I found the "American Girl" fascinating. Having only fathered sons, I've pretty much been sheltered from dolls and the like. Although I knew that American Girl sold dolls, I had no idea of the breadth of their wares and how integrated their products are. There are dolls for different periods of time (e.g. a doll for the mid-30's, 40's, early America, civil war etc) Each doll comes with a book and a basic outfit ... then you can buy more outfits and accessories. (For example, among the accessories for the '30's doll is a bicycle, a camera etc)

Then there's a different line of dolls that have differing hair color, eye color and complexion ... in essence, a buyer can purchase a doll with these same characteristics as the buyer has (as long as the buyer is a girl -- apparently no boy dolls as yet).

Still another line has dolls that have articulated limbs ... with a more limited wardrobe and apparently no accessories.

My jaw dropped when we saw a tearoom where (mostly) Moms and (exclusively) girls were having mid-afternoon tea ... and there were special "chairs" for the doll(s). Some tables had one adult woman, a girl and several dolls. It looked like the tearoom we enjoyed last year in London.

(I immediately squelched the impulse to haul Alec off to the nearest bar and sip a Miller High Life.)

I'd been forewarned about the other novelty area -- a beauty salon for dolls where staff will coif the hair. I would have thought that the young owner could do it herself but apparently not.

Barb is a great judge of things like this. To me it seems a bit contrived and too planned. But Barb holds the store in high regard and believes that the merchandise, while not inexpensive, offers fair value. All I can say is that I'm in awe of the thought and detailed planning that has gone into the store and the merchandising. Calling them dolls, doll clothing and accessories really

No comments: