About Me

My photo
I worked in Public Administration, Managed Health Care, and Real Estate. Originally from Chicago and greater Chicago, I've lived in Minnesota my adult life. Blessed with a loving wife, four great sons, two accomplished daughters-in-law and there endearing grandkids. Now battling Pulmonary Fibrosis.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Goodbye Faithful Servant ... Hello New Addition

Well, the great car hunt is over. Today Barb traded in her Volvo (BTW, I mistakenly reported its age -- it was actually a 1994 model) and bought a new Honda Accord EX-L in Carbon Bronze Pearl.

Here's a picture of the new car in its color rendering straight from Honda's site:


And click on this link for more details about the car (again it's the EX-L so you need to page down a bit to see the additional equipment the "L" variation has).

It has some really nice bells and whistles, including 6 CD changer, XM Satellite Radio, heated seats, automatic temperature control including dual driver/passenger zones, etc. I think one outstanding improvement that Barb (and Alec) appreciate is there are real cup holders in the car.

I'm impressed with it ... especially for the money since she was able to buy it for only $200 over invoice through the Credit Union's connections. It rides very nice and the engine/transmission combination make it very quick and responsive. I've heard others criticize Honda for being too bland but I didn't think it felt bland as much as capable and solid.

As much as Barb pokes fun at me for my infatuation with cars, I should note that she told me she had tears in her eyes as the dealer's staff drove the Volvo away. I've never fully understood her depth of affection for the Volvo and I was underimpressed with its mechanical durabililty and its various idiosyncracies (I swear it had arthritis in its front steering linkage and it was one of the slowest 5-cylinders around IMO).

So I'm now the Wagonmaster of the garage (see this link for the story on my buying the Mazda). It's nice having a more reliable car to share the burden of trips.

No comments: